Tuesday 13 December 2011

My Sunday Movie


Now that I'm back here I'll tell you about my Sunday movie. I usually write about it on a Monday following my Sunday Afternoon tradition. I know this post is a day late but we can pretend I wrote it yesterday  ;-)


A few months ago whilst having coffee with my good friend Jane, she handed me over a book and said 'you should read this as I think you will love it as much as I did.' - and I did !! Since then we have got into a habit of exchanging and recommending each other books. I have to tell you The Help is one of those books that I'll never forget and currently is at my number one rank of my favorite books of all time!!


When I saw that it had turned up into a movie I was a little bit apprehensive to go and see it. I didn't want it to destroy all those perfect images I had created in my mind of this wonderful story that is so beautifully narrated by the author Kathryn Stockett.


Last weekend my mom had come to visit and on Sunday we decided to give the movie a try. What can I say?? I LOVED IT !! It filled all my expectations of what a movie turned from a book should be. The characters, the setting, the dialogue...Everything was as I had pictured it! I was so thrilled! Emma Stone is outstanding so are the other actors. If you haven't read the book or seen the movie I very much recommend it.



Here is the book description by Amazon(sorry I'm just been lazy):
    
Enter a vanished and unjust world: Jackson, Mississippi, 1962. Where black maids raise white children, but aren't trusted not to steal the silver...

There's Aibileen, raising her seventeenth white child and nursing the hurt caused by her own son's tragic death; Minny, whose cooking is nearly as sassy as her tongue; and white Miss Skeeter, home from College, who wants to know why her beloved maid has disappeared.

Skeeter, Aibileen and Minny. No one would believe they'd be friends; fewer still would tolerate it. But as each woman finds the courage to cross boundaries, they come to depend and rely upon one another. Each is in a search of a truth. And together they have an extraordinary story to tell...



Thank you Jane XX

2 comments:

Lisa said...

I loved it too !!!

Isabel said...

Great to have you back Rossana. I'm glad you are feeling better too. I've missed you :)