Monday 23 April 2012

Happy St Georges Day ! - FELIÇ DIA DE ST JORDI !

Ok..so today is one of those days that I wish I could be removed from my studio and transported to Barcelona for 24 hrs.. Oh how I miss this day so much !!
Not only it is St George's here in England today but also in Catalonia  where St George is also the patron.
It is also International book day and Shakespeare's Birthday. I have to say that the place to be on the 23rd of April  is in Barcelona as that is where the big celebrations are!


The streets in the centre of the city are heaving with people celebrating and strolling the streets with friends and family whilst browsing through countless book stalls. There are also a couple of  traditions that mark this day - One is that the women get given a red Rose by their 'admire/s' and the other is that books are exchanged as presents amongst loved ones !!! It is the most gorgeous day of the year !


I specially love the idea of book exchange, it is such a lovely way to give someone you love a book you think they might enjoy. Also the good thing is that at the end of the day you might end up going home with several books in your hand !

Images by Barcelonayellow.com

Ester, a lovely childhood friend tweeted me a link  in reference where Catalans have a celebration in London's Borough Market !! I was unaware of it and such a pity I couldn't make it yesterday but if next year I'm still here I shall make sure to visit! - Happy St George's day to all !


No comments: